Thursday, April 17, 2008

The hunt begins

On Tuesday, I called a real estate agent. I don't have any close friends as real estate agents so I turned to an unconventional source - the TV. I was watching "My First Home", and one story was featured in San Diego. They only mentioned the realtor's first name, so I googled "Melina + San Diego + real estate". First link was her blog, and another site revealed her picture so I could confirm it was her.

Melina put me in touch with her loan officer Amy. Amy asked for some financial info and performed my credit check. Based on my income and the minimum deposit that I could give, I am pre-qualified for $300,000, on a 30-year, fixed rate loan. I am submitting full financial documentation soon in order to find out the different loan options available to me as a first-time home buyer and depending if I decide to increase my deposit or not.

Right now I have mixed feelings. I feel relieved that I am getting started on the housing hunt. The hardest part was getting started and calling a real estate agent. Now I will embark on making the biggest purchase of my life to date. I hope the adventure is fun and rewarding. Wish me luck.

No comments: