Sunday, February 17, 2008

Allocating my paycheck

I have two jobs, but I budget my spending around my primary job only. With an annual salary of $49,600, I make about $1908 gross each week. Because my employer offers 50% matching on the first 6% contribution to my 401(k), I contribute 6% to gain the full employer match. I also contribute 15% of my pay to the Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP). I set up my Flexible Spending Account for an annual $250 contribution, which is deducted bi-weekly from my paycheck. After contributions and taxes, I receive a direct deposit of $1055 every other week. Sometimes it is higher if I work overtime, but I count overtime as surplus.

$1055 is directly deposited to my Citi E-Savings account on Friday. It eventually gets divided two ways. On Saturday, $540 is automatically transferred to my Citi Ultimate Savings account, which offers a higher interest rate than my E-Savings account. On Sunday, $515 is automatically transferred to my checking account.

The $515 from my checking account gets transferred to other savings accounts on Monday. $15 is automatically sent to ING Direct, and $500 is automatically sent to EmigrantDirect. EmigrantDirect offers a higher interest rate than all my other savings accounts. That $500 funds my house deposit fund. $15 funds my emergency fund.

The Citi Ultimate Savings account, which receives $540 from every paycheck, is my payment account. On the 15th of every month, it will automatically transfer $200 to my checking, because I automatically purchase $100 of FIGRX and $100 of FCVSX on the 15th. On about the 20th of the month, I will manually transfer the exact amount of money to pay the entire statement balance for my Merrill+ Visa credit card. On about the 30th of the month, I will manually transfer the exact amount of money to pay the entire statement balance for my Charles Schwab Visa credit card.

But what about my other bills? You may ask how I pay for them. Well for accounts that accept credit cards, I will pay by credit card (not just using the Merrill+ Visa or Charles Schwab Visa) and have those accounts setup to be paid automatically. See my previous post how I determine which credit card to use. For accounts that do not accept credit cards directly such as electricity, gas, sewage, and water, I can use the BillPay feature of either the Merrill+ Visa or the Charles Schwab Visa. Lastly, I can use the BillPay feature to pay other credit cards. This allows me to extend the period in which I pay off a purchase, and consolidate all my payments from my checking account to just the Merrill+ Visa and the Charles Schwab Visa.

After payments, any extra money in my Ultimate Savings account just sits there for months in which I have larger payments to make. Basically, the spending money is still spending money. If I get overtime and my direct deposit is larger than $1055, the extra money sits in the E-Savings account. I choose what to do with this money, and it varies when and how. Sometimes I save it (any account) and sometimes I'll contribute it to my Roth IRA.

Because I have a second job, I allocate that paycheck too. Because the job is per-diem, I may not get shifts to work from time to time. Sometimes it would be months between paychecks. I never counted on my second job as a second income so I don't allocate it the same way I do as my primary job. After taxes, 100% of the net wages are deposited to my checking account. I immediately contribute 100% of the deposit into my Roth IRA account. If I reach the yearly limit for IRA contributions, I start to send it over to my EmigrantDirect savings account.

It may seem like a complicated setup, but I configured almost everything to be automatic. I have only to manual payments to make. This configuration allows me to maximize interest by letting the money used for payments sit in my savings account up until the payment due date. And automatic saving for a goal is easier than trying to budget around spending. My spending revolves on what I have leftover after the automatic savings and investing. I automatically save 6% towards my 401(k), 15% towards ESPP, $515 bi-weekly towards house deposit and emergency fund, and $200 monthly for mutual fund contributions. Because this budget revolves around 2 paychecks per month, I end up with two months out of the year with 3 paychecks per month. An extra paycheck means I can do whatever I want with it, but in most cases I won't spend it.

No comments: