Saturday, February 9, 2008

Suze Orman is not for me

In 2004 when I had more free time, I watched TV a lot. As I flipped channels, I stumbled across the Suze Orman show on CNBC. I was drawn to learning about personal finance. I watched her show for about a year.

In 2005, I was already a year or so into my job and already had gained a lot of information about personal finances and investing. I already had paid of my small credit card debt that I had from college (~$3000) and was living within my means. Because of that I was watching less and less Suze Orman.

Her show focuses on primarily getting out of debt, how to manage debt, or stupid mistakes to avoid when it comes to personal finance. Because my net worth was positive and growing, her show became useless to me. I needed shows that helped me grow my net worth, how to increase my assets, and how to limit my liabilities.

Suze Orman does not address any of those needs, so whenever I see her show, I flip to another channel within a nanosecond. I can't stand her "in your face" personality that comes off as preachy. Maybe that's just the lesbian in her. Whatever it is, it just isn't for me. I'm not a big individual stock investor, but watching Jim Cramer is more informative for those with money to invest instead of those trying to get out of debt.

No comments: