Monday, February 11, 2008

Clothes as an investment

This month I already spent over $800 on clothes. Earlier this year, I had set my budget to $100/month. Last month, I was over by 90%, but that was before I had set a budget. Right now, I have spent about $820. I spent $520 last week on a suit, shirt, tie, and shoes I needed for a wedding I went to this past Saturday. I haven't bought a suit in 5 years since I graduated from college, so it was a purchase that can be justified.

However, just minutes ago I spent $300 on a navy pinstripe sportcoat. I am justifying this cost as an investment in my career. I have strong intentions on attending next week's career fair at Amylin (see my previous post), and the suit I just bought might be too formal for a career fair. A sportcoat with dress shirt and dress pants will be business casual, the attire proper for a career fair. If this $300 sportcoat helps me get a job, the cost will be well worth it. Even if it doesn't get me that particular job, it can help in future job interviews that are business casual such as internal job interviews at my present company. If anything else, it adds another dimension of sprucing up my wardrome.

No comments: